Fall is fun! Back to school, pumpkin spice, leaf peeping, Halloween, and Thanksgiving! Don’t forget amidst all the fun to pay attention to your home with some simple maintenance activities.
- Clean gutters and downspouts
- Turn off external faucets, valves, disconnect and put away hoses
- Clean and store garden tools, (Prep snow blower!)
Avid gardeners here is info on how to prepare your garden, sortable by location and month!
- Clean chimney and check carbon monoxide detectors
- Replace filter in furnace
- Check for drafts, install weather stripping around doors and windows
Budgeting for Home Maintenance: There are two formulas you can use to budget for annual home maintenance and repair. The 1 percent rules has you set aside 1% of the purchase price of your home for annual maintenance costs. The Square Foot Rule has you set aside $1 per a square foot. Whichever method you use, be sure to save for expected, and unexpected home, home maintenance and repair costs.
Fall is also a great time to review your mortgage, too. We are always here to discuss your options with you and make sure your current mortgage fits your financial goals.