Some things to remember for “Giving Tuesday”
- – Many non-profits make as much as 30-40 percent of their overall budget at this time of year.
- – Check out GuideStar (a resource for info on non-profit organizations) or your local attorney general’s office to make sure the charity is legitimate, and to assess how their funds are spent.
- – Click here for information on tax deductions for charitable contributions.
- – Be wary of telemarketing solicitations. Less than half of every dollar raised goes to charity. Help elderly relatives with their giving to minimize the threat of scams.
- – Charitable giving should be treated like any other expense and budgeted for.
- – Support causes that are important to you, but budget for unexpected requests from friends.